Are you fed up of the sharp, severe pain that you feel whenever you eat anything hot or cold? Wouldn’t it be nice if you could enjoy an ice cream or a hot cup of coffee, without having the fear of sensitivity in your teeth afterwards? The following text provides an overview of the various reasons that can lead to the sensitivity of teeth, in addition to discussing various techniques to get rid of teeth sensitivity.
Why Do Teeth Become Sensitive?
The outer surface of our teeth is covered by a very hard and protective layer known as the dental enamel, which overlies the dentine and pulp layers that are highly sensitive to any changes in pressure or temperature. Under normal circumstances, the enamel layer protects the underlying sensitive tissues, and prevents the development of teeth sensitivity. However, the enamel can get damaged due to certain reasons, thereby leading to the development of a sharp pain in the affected tooth, immediately after the intake of a hot or cold diet. Teeth can become sensitive due to the following reasons:
- Teeth Cavities – teeth cavities can result in the gradual demineralization and destruction of the enamel layer, thereby exposing the underlying dentine and pulp to the external environment.
- Fractured Teeth – in case of a tooth fracture, either due to trauma or due to extensive tooth cavities, can result in the direct exposure of the dental pulp to the oral environment, resulting in sensitivity of the teeth.
- Dislodged Fillings – fillings are mainly placed to prevent further progression of tooth decay, as well as to protect the underlying dental tissues. If the filling was placed in the deeper regions of teeth, its dislodgment can result in the tooth becoming sensitive.
- Tooth Root Exposure – sometimes, the root of the teeth get exposed to the oral cavity, primarily due to gum recession caused by any underlying gingival or periodontal infection. This root exposure can result in the pulp present inside the root to become sensitive to intake of hot or cold food products and drinks.
How to Get Rid of Teeth Sensitivity?
You can take the following steps, in order to treat the sensitivity of your teeth:
- Use a Fluoride Toothpaste – fluoride has been shown to be excellent in making your teeth stronger and more resistant to development of teeth cavities, in addition to reversing the effects of teeth sensitivity. Using a fluoride containing toothpaste can be really helpful in preventing teeth sensitivity.
- Restoration of the Teeth – if your teeth are sensitive because of tooth cavities, then you should immediately get the caries removed, and get the tooth filled with a suitable restorative material. In case, a tooth is heavily restored, it must be strengthened by providing a crown over it, so as to prevent spontaneous fracture and pulp exposure.
- Treatment of the Gum Problems – if you have teeth sensitivity due to the recession of your gums around the root area caused by an inflammation of infection, it must be treated by performing thorough gum cleaning, or by surgically repositioning the gums back to their original place.
- Root Canal Treatment – if the teeth have become persistently sensitive and painful, chances are that you may need a root canal treatment.
How to Prevent Teeth Sensitivity?
If you want that your teeth should never become sensitive, you should remember to do the following:
- Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene – if you take care of your teeth and gums, rest assured that you will never have to bear the agony of having sensitive teeth. Simply remember to brush your teeth twice a day, in addition to flossing them daily.
- Visiting Your Dentist Regularly – your dentist can pick up any problems related to your teeth and gums, before they can cause any permanent damage. Therefore, visiting your dentist can help you in preventing tooth cavities and development of infections, which will in turn prevent the development of sensitivity of the teeth.
If you want to enjoy a healthy lifestyle, and enjoy eating anything you like, without worrying about sensitively in your teeth, then you should remember to take care of the above mentioned tips and methods to get rid of teeth sensitivity.